- Education Week- In-Person or Remote Learning: How the Biggest City School Districts Are Operating (March 2021): This tracker collects information about the operating status of some of America’s largest school districts and the mode of learning in these districts.
- The ABC Science Collaborative (2021) is a program that pairs scientists and physicians with school and community leaders to help understand the most current and relevant information about COVID-19. The program helps school leaders make informed decisions about returning to school using data from their own communities.
- Learning Modules “School Re-Opening in the Era of COVID-19:Public health principles and practices for school districts”. Consortium for school-Based Health Solutions. These modules are designed to be a resource schools and districts can use to answer practical questions about school re-opening. For schools and districts that are already open, the modules can help you to evaluate your current strategies.
- What the CDC School-Reopening Strategy Means for Superintendents? (March 2021) from the ABC Science Collaboration.
- Burbio’s K-12 School Opening Tracker (2021): Updated daily about the status of In-person schooling across the 50 states.
- CDC: Operational Strategy for K-12 Schools through Phased Mitigation (2021): CDC has released clear guidance on how to open school safely and slow the transmission of COVID-19 in schools and communities.
- Yale Interactive COVID-19 Childcare Map (2021): This map estimates childcare demand by workers in critical sectors, including healthcare workers and those in the food industry.
- The American Federation of Teachers Plan to Safely Reopen America’s Schools and Communities (2020) Guidance for imagining a new normal for public education, public health and our economy in the age of COVID-19.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics provides student and environmental guidelines in their Plan to Return to In-Person Education in Schools (2020)
- CDC Guidance for Cleaning And Disinfecting Public Spaces, Workplaces, Businesses, Schools, and Homes and Tool
- CDC Guidance on Ventilation in Schools (2021): CDC guidance on the ventilation and schools.
- Maryland State Department of Education’s Recovery Plan for Education (June 2020): Provides comprehensive considerations regarding shifts in educational curriculum, transportation, health needs, and more.
- Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security’s Filling in the Blanks- National Research Needs to Guide Decisions about Reopening Schools in the United States (May 2020): Comprehensive overview of existing literature and recommendations for what avenues and questions still need to be explored to better inform decisions about re-openings.
- Safety back to school after coronavirus closures (April 2020): McKinsey and Company outlines three questions to consider when re-opening schools: when to reopen, for whom, and with what safety and health precautions in place.
Resources For Educators and School Health Personnel
- COVID-19 in Child Care and Preschool Settings (April 2021): This research summary of 11 studies reveals that early learning programs are not associated with an increased risk of COVID-19 infection when providers follow proper mitigation measures.
- Countering Coronavirus Stigma and Racism(2020): Outlines recommendations for educators to prevent all forms of bullying, harassment, and racial discrimination.
- K-12 School Districts Frequently Identified Multiple Building Systems Needing Updates or Replacement by the United States Government Accountability Office highlights necessary structural changes when considering school recovery plans. (June 2020)
- SBHC COVID-19 Listening and Learning Sessions (April 2020): The School-Based Health Alliance invites SBHC sponsors, admins, and health practitioners to join in weekly conversations about SBHC’s response to the pandemic.
- School-based health centers can deliver care to vulnerable populations during the COVID-19 pandemic (March 2020): Child Trends rethinks how SBHCs can be re-purposed to continue providing necessary health care to underprivileged students.
- National Association of School Nurses provides comprehensive resources for topics such as, how to safely send resources from schools to parents, ideas for the deployment of school nurses, and helping children cope with COVID-19.
- National Association of School Psychologists provides a COVID-19 resource center for concerns including crisis and mental health support, special education delivery, and equity considerations for during and after the pandemic.
- Resources from Reopening Schools by the Learning Policy Insitute provides a curated list of resources on reopening schools safely.
- eSchool+ Teacher & School Staff COVID-19 Vaccination Dashboard (2021): Dashboard summarizing progress toward vaccinating teachers and school staff. In addition to monitoring state-by-state school reopening status and vaccination prioritization for teachers and school staff, the dashboard includes a wide range of epidemiological data, including trends in cases, infection rate, and hospitalizations.
- Education Week: Where are Teachers Eligible for Vaccines (2021): Updated regularly this tracker determines where teachers are eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine through the US, D.C., and Puerto Rico.
School-Based Health Services
- Center for Connected Health (2021): Provides COVID-19 telehealth policy updates, including increased eligible services via telehealth for Medicaid patients and a list of eligible providers.
- Managing Now for a BETTER Tomorrow (The University of Maryland School of Social Work’s Institute of Innovation and Implementation), (July 2020): Outlines COVID-19 telehealth Medicaid expansions by state, HIPPA-Compliant technology, and other resources by topic, including continuity of care, education, family support, housing, and more.
Resources for Parents
- Schools and COVID-19: Frequently Asked Questions from Parents and Caregivers (March 2021): Evidence-based FAQs for parents and caregivers of students in K-12 schools in the US, created by the Consortium for School Based Health Solutions, in partnership with the Rales Center for the Integration of Health and Education and the Bloomberg Philanthropies.
- Las Escuelas y el COVID19: Preguntas Frecuentes Para Padres y Familias (March 2021): Encuentre respuestas a las preguuntas más frecuentes sobre el COVID-19 en las escuelas y el regreso a clases presenciales.
- Child Mind Institute: Supporting Families through COVID-19 (2020): Provides parents with resources for remote learning fatigue, emotional support, advice to talk to children about the pandemic, telehealth services, and more.
- Virtual Calming Rooms (2020): Many School districts are creating virtual calming rooms to help parents, students, and staff embrace and manage emotions caused by the pandemic.
- Official Consortium Twitter Page: Follow us on Twitter to receive updates and resources related to COVID-19 and other consortium projects.
- Official CDC Twitter Page: Link to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) official Twitter page.
- Official WHO Twitter Page: Link to the World Health Organization (WHO) official Twitter page.
This twice-weekly news digest summarizes relevant articles and information related to COVID-19 school closures. It focuses on the five critical areas: 1) continuity of learning; 2) health; 3) food security; 4) supervision; and 5) housing/safety and is disseminated on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
News Digest Archive:
Webinar and Classes
The Consortium team has been invited to join numerous key dialogues regarding COVID-19 youth responses. Check out our upcoming programs below.
- Johns Hopkins University eSchool+ Initiative Webinar Series: Equity and K-12 School Re-Openings (Mondays, March 15, 2021 – April 12, 2021). Watch all webinars HERE.
- March 15, 2021: Race and the Return to School, Build the (Whole) Schools Back Better
- March 22, 2021: Innovative Responses to COVID-19 Learning Loss.
- March 29, 2021: Teacher Choice & Vaccines in the Reopening of Schools
- April 5, 2021: Addressing Learning Loss in Special Education
- April 12, 2021: Addressing mental health and SEL needs when schools reopen
- Johns Hopkins University eSchool+ Initiative Webinar Series: Equity and K-12 School Re-Openings (Mondays, June 22 – July 27, 2020). Recordings of all webinars are available on the Coronavirus Resource Center site.
- Lost Learning During COVID-19: Understanding which students lost the most (Webinar on June 22, 2020, 4-5 EDT).
- Should I stay or should I go (Part 1)? Teacher choice and school reopenings (Webinar on June 29, 2020, 3-4 EDT).
- Should I stay or should I go (Part 2)? Parent choice and school reopenings (Webinar on July 13, 2020, 3-4 EDT).
- The Digital Divide: How to support in-person and virtual teaching during Fall 2020 (Webinar on July 13, 2020, 3-4 EDT).
- How to best support students with Special Education needs (Webinar on July 20, 2020, 3-4 EDT).
- School-based health care in the era of COVID-19 (Webinar on July 27, 3-4 EDT).
- COVID-19 and Schools: The public health case for closing schools and where we go from here (Webinar on May 12, 2020). A recording can be found here.